Laurel Hill Cemetery
Intersection of Kelly Drive and West Hunting Park Avenue
Historic Laurel Hill Cemetery in Philadelphia has long been a place for the public to visit since it first broke ground in 1836. In 2013 Knapp Masonry began the phased work under the guidance of KSK Architects, and using reclaimed fence posts supplied by Laurel Hill Cemetery to begin the creation of a public access to the cemetery at the intersection of Kelly Drive and W. Hunting Park Avenue. Starting in spring of 2015 Knapp Masonry continued the work by deleting the traffic island and creating a plaza with pedestrian access from the Schuylkill River trail to the cemetery. Traffic signal work to tie in the newly defined crosswalk was completed by Miller Brothers Electric during the second week of September, right before the grand opening. A new flight of granite stairs allows access through the gate atop the landing to an existing path within the cemetery.